Pre-Service Training Coach
Location: New Orleans
Posted on: February 15, 2019
Seeking Passionate Instructional Leaders!
TNTP seeks summer Pre-Service Training Coaches for teachNOLA. This position is based in New Orleans and is available in Summer 2019.
Who We Are TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation's public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we're a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
TNTP's teachNOLA Teaching Fellows Program is an alternative route to a career in teaching for talented professionals committed raising student achievement.
TeachNOLA prepares Fellows to achieve immediate, measurable success with their students in the fall. Our training approach focuses on foundational skills that we believe Fellows must have to ensure a strong start to the school year as a new teacher. During their pre-service training, Fellows rehearse foundational skills, receive coaching, and practice them with students in a summer school setting. Fellows must demonstrate proficiency in these skills in order to successfully complete pre-service training and become a teacher of record in the fall.
What You'll Do Pre-Service Training Coaches lead sessions focused on foundational classroom and instructional skills ensuring Fellows have high quality opportunities to both learn and practice the skills. Additionally, our Coaches develop Fellows' skills daily through constant cycles of feedback. Specifically you will be expected to:
- Plan and facilitate sessions demonstrating effective instruction in alignment with the Louisiana Student Standards including:
- Leveraging best practices in adult learning to rapidly develop Fellows' capacity to deliver engaging and rigorous instruction
- Expertly modelling lesson delivery to build Fellows' vision of rigorous and engaging instruction utilizing Tier I curriculums that are standards-aligned and incorporate culturally responsive teaching practices
- Leading lesson preparation sessions that support Fellows' acquisition of instructional preparation and delivery skills
- Expertly modelling best new teacher practices to engage students in learning
- Influence, coach, and motivate Fellows by:
- Observing and providing specific, actionable, on-the-spot feedback to Fellows multiple times per week in a summer school classrooms and/or daily in-person professional learning sessions
- Planning and executing daily coaching experiences, including in-classroom interventions, that are based on performance data and offer opportunities for practice and immediate feedback
- Developing expertise in high-quality curriculum in order to model lessons, support lesson preparation and delivery, and provide feedback on Fellow lesson plans and lesson execution
- Promoting analytical self-reflection in Fellows in order to accelerate their development as culturally responsive teachers and the creators of joyful classroom environments
- Collaborate with other Pre-Service Training team members to plan meaningful training experiences and norm on Fellow performance standards and evaluative processes
- Evaluate Fellow performance by assessing Fellow proficiency, using data to identify trends in Fellow performance and leverage priority development areas on an individual and group level
- Participate in staff training during the spring to build a strong staff community with the capacity to reach teachNOLA's ambitious vision
What You Bring We are looking for inspired people of diverse backgrounds and experiences, who are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to impact students across the Greater New Orleans community. You'll be right at home on the Pre-Service Training Team if you learn from failure, overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you constantly.
Coaches are experienced educators who demonstrate a track record of success working with students in high-need schools, hold high expectations for students and teachers, and have strong organizational and communication skills.
- Minimum two years of successful teaching experience in high-need subject areas (required)
- Strong familiarity and experience with the Louisiana Student Standards (required) and the summer school curriculum (preferred - Engage NY/Eureka math, CKLA Skills, LA Guidebooks, Wit and Wisdom)
- Experience with Teach Like a Champion techniques (preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and inspire students and adults
- Experience and comfort providing direct, in-the-moment feedback to teachers, both written and verbal, that leads to immediate improvement
- Experience in facilitating effective training experiences for adult learners
- Demonstrated ability to connect with adult learners quickly and to build strong working and mentoring relationships
- Exceptional skills in time management, including the ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced work environment
- Readiness to work non-standard hours over the course of the pre-service training (35 – 50 hours per week)
- A positive outlook, flexibility, and sense of possibility in stressful situations
- Evidence of working successfully in teams or cooperative settings
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to utilize quantitative and qualitative analysis to support decision-making
What We Offer TNTP offers a competitive hourly wage commensurate with experience in a similar position. Instructional Coaches' hourly wage can range from $24-25 per hour, based on experience.
TNTP offers a motivated team of dynamic colleagues, a collegial atmosphere that values professional development and valuable feedback, and the chance to impact the direction of a growing, mission-driven company that is committed to the success of our nation's children.
Time Commitment Coaches can expect to attend up to 50 hours of training over multiple days in the spring with additional training hours completed on-line. In the summer, coaches are focused on preparation and direct work with Fellows and can expect a range of hours in commitment from 30-50 during the weeks of in-person PST from the end of May through the first week in July.
To Apply If you are interested in becoming a Pre-Service Coach for teachNOLA, please submit a resume and one-page cover letter that answers the following questions:
- Why do your experience and skills make you a strong candidate to mentor new teachers who are preparing for their first years in high need classrooms?
- What do you believe are the foundational content and skills that incoming Fellows need in order to deliver rigorous instruction and build strong relationships with their students and how will you help your Fellows develop this expertise?
Please submit your application online.
TNTP is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. TNTP does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other personal characteristic protected by applicable law.
Learn More TNTP: teachNOLA: Hiring process:
Keywords: TNTP, New Orleans , Pre-Service Training Coach, Education / Teaching , New Orleans, Louisiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!