Company: Acadian Ambulance
Location: New Orleans
Posted on: November 22, 2020
JOB SUMMARY: Provide appropriate, efficient and timely
pre-hospital basic life support care and transportation of the sick
and injured in accordance with local, state, national and Acadian
Ambulance standards of practice. EQUIPMENT: Ambulance; stretcher;
folding stretcher; scoop stretcher; long and short spine boards and
KED; spinal immobilization equipment; radios and computerized
communications equipment; splinting devices; suction devices;
bandaging materials; oxygen bottles and tubings; basic airway
management devices; intravenous fluid therapy equipment; fire
extinguisher; simple extrication devices; simple mechanics tools;
blood pressure cuff and stethoscope; patient restraints; simple
traction devices; other medical and related equipment items not
specifically listed may be added as new items are introduced.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Except as specifically noted, the
following functions are considered essential to this position.
- Conducts a careful examination of the patient for signs and
symptoms of illness/injury and assists other medical personnel as
- Administers prompt and efficient basic life support care within
the limits of licensure or certification and in accordance with
approved protocols prior to and during transport.
- Provides careful handling of the patient to and from the
- Provides safe and efficient transport of the patient in the
ambulance to the medical facility.
- Provides a safe and efficient transfer of patient and patient
care information to the receiving personnel at the
- Documents all aspects of patient condition and treatment on EMS
run reports. Obtains and records non-medical patient information as
required. Completes other patient documentation and forms as
- Conducts regular unit inventory and equipment testing to ensure
all equipment for which the EMT-Basic is responsible is present,
clean and in proper working order.
- Upon completion of transport, responsible for all assigned
duties which will place the ambulance and equipment back in
- Responsible for full knowledge of the ambulance's basic life
support equipment and its proper use at all times.
- Documents and reports all needed repairs to the proper
maintenance departments (electronic or mechanical) as well as to
supervisors and other ambulance personnel as required.
- In the absence of other qualified personnel, responsible for
the use of basic extrication tools and procedures to gain access to
the patient if necessary.
- In the absence of other qualified personnel, responsible for
controlling the patient's surroundings in such a way as to minimize
further danger and control the actions of bystanders.
- In both the emergency and non-emergency setting, operates /
drives the ambulance in a safe and efficient manner, following
company driving guidelines, so the safety or condition of the
occupants are not compromised.
- Follows all FCC regulations when communicating via electronic
communications equipment.Attends all mandatory meetings as
- Completes assigned station and station grounds duties.
- Orders supplies and equipment from Central Supply to replenish
station and ambulance inventories as needed.
- Completes assigned ambulance duties (i.e., washing, waxing,
interior and exterior cleaning, etc.) as required.
- Completes all required company reports and logs and when
necessary provides other ambulance and supervisory personnel with
- Approved Field Training Officer are responsible for precepting
EMT-Basic students as well as new employees as directed.
- Must meet and fulfill the qualifications, requirements,
functions and responsibilities of the Emergency Medical Technician
- Basic job descriptions.
- Performs other duties as assigned. These duties,
responsibilities, requirements, and conditions are not intended to
be all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties,
responsibilities, requirements and conditions. Specific job duties
which require the physical demands noted above: Lifting of patient
from beds or emergency scenes onto stretcher and into ambulance;
carrying of patients and equipment; climbing stairs or steps;
working in unusual geographic settings such as ditches, hills,
embankments, high elevations - natural or manmade; working with
small, delicate items such as oxygen tubings, bandaging materials,
IV setups when assisting advanced partners, medications, etc.;
visually assessing the safety and condition of the emergency scene
and the patient; verbally communicating with patients, co-workers,
medical personnel and the public either directly or indirectly via
electronic communication equipment; driving the ambulance in
emergency and non-emergency situations both short and long
distances. WORK ENVIRONMENT: Specific situations that lead to
environment conditions can include: hazardous materials calls,
electrical emergencies, vehicular accidents, outdoor emergency
settings, hurricanes, tornadoes, industrial accidents, conditions
affecting driving, settings where heavy equipment such as
extrication tools are in use, etc. Noise level associated with this
job: Moderate Noise (Examples: business office with typewriters
and/or computer printers, light traffic). Loud Noise (Examples:
metal can manufacturing, large earth-moving equipment). Very Loud
Noise (Examples: jack hammer work, front row at rock concert).
- High School Diploma or GED.
- National and/or State certification as an Emergency Medical
Technician-Basic determined by appropriate state requirements.
- Current CPR certification as established by the American Heart
- Current and valid state-issued driver's license determined by
appropriate state requirements (equivalent of a Louisiana Class "D"
- Must be able to read, write and communicate professionally and
effectively with employees and managers. Must possess the ability
to write simple correspondence or reports. Must possess the ability
to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group
situations to other employees and/or managers.
- Must be knowledgeable of company protocols, operational
procedures and safety policies.
- Must be able to drive large vehicles in normal and adverse
conditions. INTERPERSONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Maintain social, ethical and organizational norms.
- Achieve accomplishment of all task details, no matter how
- Maintain good personal motivation; develop a sense of ownership
of job tasks and results.
- Must have a sense of urgency for all work performed.
- Must maintain professionalism and respect with patients,
co-workers, emergency service providers, healthcare workers and the
general public. TRAINING REQUIREMENTS: Orientation to job
Keywords: Acadian Ambulance, New Orleans , EMT, Healthcare , New Orleans, Louisiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!