Ambulatory Surgery RN - PRN - AVALA Hospital RH1 RH2
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Provides carein the ambulatory setting directed towards meeting the
psychosocial andphysical needs of the surgical patient.
Communicates with the physicians about the patient's clinical
conditionregarding the planned surgical procedure. Care given
reflects initiative and responsibility indicative ofprofessional
expectations. Utilizesinitiative, is a self-starter and strives to
maintain steady level ofproductivity. (Is compatible, supportiveand
a team player.) Communicates onbehalf of the patient (patient
advocate); care provided reflects the mission,ethics and goals of
the facility, as well as the focus statement of thedepartment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ability to perform a head-to-toe assessment ofall patient
populations and perform reassessments per facility policy.
- Makes decisions reflecting knowledge of facts,knowledge of
diseases/surgical conditions, care required and good
judgment.Identifies physical symptoms and changes, reports changes
tosurgeon/anesthesiologist, and initiates appropriate actions.
- Performance reflects knowledge in all areas ofcare specific to
- Organizes and manages nursing activities withrespect for the
needs of the patient and their families and the needs of
thehospital and staff.
- Identifies and addresses psychosocial needs ofpatients and
- Manages and operates equipment safely andcorrectly.
- Utilizes initiative; strives to maintain steadylevel of
productivity; a self-starter; compatible and supportive; a
- Follows the five medication rights and reducesthe potential for
medication errors. Knowledge of medications and IV fluids andtheir
correct administration, based on age of the patient and the
- Demonstrates an ability to performtreatments. Demonstrates an
ability toassist physicians in performing treatments/procedures.
Utilizes medical and surgical asepsis duringtreatments and special
- Ability to adequately assess and reassesspain. Utilizes
appropriate painmanagement techniques. Educates thepatient and
family regarding pain management.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in anenvironment that
optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood
ofmedical/health care errors.
- Ability to formulate an individualized plan ofcare, as
indicated, and evaluates for effectiveness.
- Formulates a teaching plan, based on identifiedpatient learning
needs, and evaluates effectiveness of learning; family isincluded
in teaching, as appropriate, from pre-op to discharge.
- Provides patient with explanations and verbalreassurance
- Utilizes Universal Protocol (time out procedure,patient
- Ensurescompletion of documentation including but not limited
to, H/P, consents, handoff communication tool, medication
administration, pre-anestheticquestionnaire, medication
reconciliation form, allergies.
- Knowledgeof cardiac monitoring and can identify dysrhythmias,
notifies physician ofchanges, treats appropriately based on
facility protocol. Able to perform 12Lead EKG.
- Ableto perform waived or moderate complexity testing per
clinical laboratory andunit policy and procedure. Able tointerpret
results of lab testing and take appropriate action on waived
- Coordinatesand supervises patient care. Communicates
appropriately and clearly to departmental charge nurse or
outpatientsupervisor/manager, co-workers and physicians.
- Demonstratesan ability to be flexible, organized and function
under stressful situations.
- Treatspatients and their families with respect and dignity,
maintains an environmentthat provides the patient and family with
feelings of safety and security, practicesgood guest
- Maintainsa good working relationship and effective
communication both within thedepartment and with other departments
for the benefit of the patient. Consults with other departments as
needed toprovide for an interdisciplinary approach to the patient's
- Meetscurrent documentation standards and policies and completes
within the shift.
Charge Nurse Responsibilities
- Makes daily patient assignments, monitors thesurgery schedule
and daily unit progress, reports changes to involved
- Supports/oversees unit staff and monitorsstaffing efficiency.
Staffs unitaccording to nursing standards. Supervises staff to
ensure quality of nursingcare, delegates' specific duties and
tasks. Monitors daily time sheets.
- Provides and controls supplies and equipmentneeded for
successful operation of the department. Directs and
delegatescontrol of inventories to ensure proper amounts
- Supervises care and cleanliness of equipmentand supplies to
ensure good working conditions.
- Effectively communicates pertinent issues tosupervisor.
- Provides orientation to new staff members.Assists in the
- Promotes the hospital's mission, values andgoals.
- Utilizes initiative, strives to maintain asteady level of
productivity, completes assigned projects by due date.
- May rotate after hours clinical on-callsupervisory
- Knowledgeable of lab procedures and laboratoryequipment.
- Participates in QA/PI activities, communicatesresults to
- Completes duties as assigned by NurseManager.
ActionOrientation - Targets and achieves results, overcomes
obstacles, acceptsresponsibility, establishes standards and
responsibilities, creates aresults-oriented environment, and
follows through on actions.
Communications- Communicates well both verbally and in writing.
Effectively conveys andshares information and ideas with others.
Listens carefully and understandsvarious viewpoints. Presents ideas
clearly and concisely and understandsrelevant detail in presented
Creativity/Innovation- Generates novel ideas and develops or
improves existing and new systems thatchallenge the status quo,
takes risks, and encourages innovation.
CriticalJudgment - Possesses the ability to define issues and focus
on achievingworkable solutions. Consistently does the right thing
by performing withreliability.
CustomerOrientation - Listens to customers, builds customer
confidence, increasescustomer satisfaction, ensures commitments are
met, sets appropriate customerexpectations, and responds to
InterpersonalSkills - Effectively and productively engages with
others and establishestrust, credibility, and confidence with
Leadership- Motivates, empowers, inspires, collaborates with, and
encourages others.Builds consensus when appropriate. Focuses team
members on common goals.
Teamwork- Knows when and how to attract, develop, reward, and
utilize teams to optimizeresults. Acts to build trust, inspire
enthusiasm, encourage others, and helpresolve conflicts and develop
consensus in creating high-performance teams.
- Meets dress code standards and adheres topolicy.
- Completes annual education requirements andunit
- Maintains regulatory requirements.
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times.
- Reports to work on time and as scheduled,completes work within
- Wears identification while on duty, usescomputerized punch time
- Attends annual review and departmentin-services, as scheduled
and completed in-services in a timely manner.
- Attends monthly staff meetings or reads staffmeeting
- Represents the organization in a positive andprofessional
- Actively participates in performanceimprovement and continuous
quality improvement (CQI) activities.
- Complies with all organizational policiesregarding ethical
- Communicates the mission, ethics and goals ofthe hospital, as
well as the focus statement of the department.
- Promotes professional growth of subordinates bysharing
knowledge and/or directing them to sources if information
appropriateto given situation. Utilizes journals, books, etc. to
learn and/or improve newtechniques and equipment.
- Assists other staff members in performing anyduty that enhances
the delivery of patient care.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
- Currentregistered nurse licensure in the state of
- Two years nursing experience preferred
- Current BLS certification
- Current ACLS certification
- Current PALS certification or be obtainedwithin 6 months of
- Ability to communicate effectively in English,both verbally and
- Basiccomputer knowledge.
The physicaldemands described here are representative of those that
must be met by anemployee to successfully perform the essential
functions of this job. Whileperforming the duties of this job, the
employee is regularly required to talkand hear. This position is
very active and requires repetitive motions, standing,walking,
bending, kneeling and stooping all day. The employee must
frequentlylift or move items weighing over 100 pounds.
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.
Keywords: AVALA, New Orleans , Ambulatory Surgery RN - PRN - AVALA Hospital RH1 RH2, Healthcare , Covington, Louisiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!