Legal Assistant - Floater
Company: Phelps Dunbar LLP
Location: New Orleans
Posted on: September 24, 2022
Phelps Dunbar LLP is an AmLaw 200 full-service law firm and is
offering an opportunity for a Legal Secretary supporting a group of
attorneys in the New Orleans office.Essential Duties and
- Performance of complex secretarial, administrative and
substantive legal duties.
- Leverage technology resources to ensure the group of attorneys
is operating as efficiently and effectively as possible.
- Identify most efficient and effective manner to complete
- Prepare documents by transcribing, formatting, inputting,
editing, retrieving, copying, printing and transmitting text, data
and graphics using office software applications.
- Knowledge of the legal processes that facilitate the accurate
preparation of client documents and responding to filing or closing
- Prepare and coordinate e-filings, as well as filings in state
courts if needed.
- Handle incoming and outgoing mail, faxes and scan
- Ensure that documents are saved and filed into the appropriate
workspaces/folders in FileSite and paper file.
- Maintain the daily calendar of each attorney including, but not
limited to, scheduling appointments, meetings and travel
- Maintain Outlook contacts for each attorney as
- Open files, close files and assist with conflicts checks.
- Provide support to the attorneys with timesheets and regular
- Request reimbursement for attorneys through ChromeRiver and for
client costs through Accounts Payable.
- Maintain a good working rapport with clients which requires
discretion and judgment.
- Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of
the job.Education and Experience Required:
- A minimum of a high school diploma or GED is required. An
associate degree, business school certificate or related education
is preferred. Significant prior experience may be substituted for a
combination of the educational requirements.
- 2+ years of secretarial experience in a law firm environment is
preferred.Qualifications and Skills Required:
- Strong knowledge of and ability to apply office software
applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and
- Working knowledge of legal practices, terminology, documents
and court procedures.
- Working knowledge of the firm's support tools.
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively in a business
- Flexible, solutions-oriented approach and the ability to work
under pressure and handle multiple priorities from multiple
- Excellent typing, spelling, grammar, proofreading,
transcription and general clerical skills.
- Ability to coordinate work activities; prepare legal
correspondence and documents; transcribe dictation; organize and
maintain files and records.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment, including
personal computer, copier, multi-function printers, facsimile, and
telephone.Performance Measures:The Legal Secretary will be
evaluated by the attorneys in the work group and the office manager
based upon, but not limited, to the following performance criteria:
- Ability to perform responsibilities as outlined above, both in
terms of the quality and quantity of work.
- Expertise with available software and technology tools,
understanding of secretarial and office procedures; equipment;
legal terminology; attention to detail.
- Dependability and cooperation with attorneys, clients and other
- Adherence to office policies and procedures.
- Professionalism and ability to communicate effectively and
handle multiple priorities.
Keywords: Phelps Dunbar LLP, New Orleans , Legal Assistant - Floater, Legal , New Orleans, Louisiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!