Audubon Zoo General Curator position description:
The Vice President and General Curator oversees animal husbandry
operations and programs at Audubon Zoo in support of Audubon Nature
Institute (ANI). This position is responsible for all aspects of
zoological management including, but not limited to; animal
welfare, collection planning, supervision of the animal management
team, animal acquisition and disposition, regulatory compliance,
permitting, exhibit quality, animal training and enrichment,
species conservation, and outstanding guest experience. The VP and
General Curator is responsible for meeting and exceeding United
States Department of Agriculture Animal Welfare Act standards and
Association of Zoos and Aquarium accreditation standards. This
position is expected to propose and implement professional best
practices in animal management. The VP and General Curator is
expected to take an active role in staff safety and staff
professional development. This position works actively and
collaboratively with all Zoo and Audubon Nature Institute
departments and facilities.
• The VP & General Curator is responsible for the performance of
all curators, keepers and voluntary animal staff.
• The VP and General Curator will oversee Audubon Zoo’s shoot
• The VP & General Curator is required to serve as the leader of
Audubon Zoo’s Hurricane Team.
• Ten years of leadership experience managing animal care
personnel in a zoological facility
• Working knowledge and understanding of the Association of Zoos
& Aquariums (AZA) Code of Ethics, AZA Standards for Accreditation
and AZA Population Management guidelines.
• Four-year degree in zoology, biology, or animal science from a
recognized college or university is required. Some experience may
be considered in lieu of education on a case-by-case basis at the
discretion of the VP & Managing Director in consultation with ANI
Human Resources staff.
• Must maintain a valid Louisiana driver’s license
• Professional membership within the AZA is required
• Proven competency in the application of Microsoft Office,
Word, PowerPoint and Excel computer programs is required.
• Ability to use mobile devices, computer, fax, scanner, phone,
and copy machine.
• Ability to perform physical labor, with demonstrated ability
to lift a minimum of 75 lbs. is necessary for the job.