Apply on-line Now
Position Description ARCO, A COMMUNITY RESOURCE is a nonprofit
United Way Agency that provides services for babies and adults with
developmental disabilities and their families throughout northeast
Louisiana since 1954.
This administrative person assures that the human resource needs
of the agency are met with qualified personnel. The Human Resource
Director works with managers and other administrators to assess
these needs on an on-going basis and responds with recruitment and
hiring of appropriate staff. This administrator considers the
budgetary constraints of the agency, both in terms of the Human
Resource Department and the other departments. The Human Resource
Director provides guidance and assistance to other administrators
and managers in regard to any and all personnel issues and assures
that personnel policies are current, adequate, and that staff are
trained in the use of these. The director assures that information
pertinent to the employee’s history, qualifications, etc. is
adequately tracked and managed. The director administers payroll as
well as other benefits accurately, legally and timely. The Human
Resource Director regularly collaborates with and advises the
Executive Director regarding personnel needs, trends, and issues
and works with legal counsel to assure compliance with laws and
regulations. This director manages the staff of the Human Resource
• Degree in Human Resource or similar degree with coursework
emphasis on personnel management or highly developed skills
acquired through human resource training and experience.
Demonstrated skills and knowledge regarding:
• Personnel management (legal, best practice)
• Supervision and management of staff
• Computer usage (word processing, spread sheets, data
• Good customer relations (internal and external)
• Communication (written and verbal) on a post secondary
• Knowledge of business (products, finances, operations)
• Conduction of research, assessment of findings relevant to
• Assessment of operations from a broad perspective
• Process large quantities of information under a variety of
• Team work
1. To analyze and evaluate the effectiveness of the flow of
operations in all areas, to develop systems, adapt, or make changes
for the most effective use of resources, especially human
2. To evaluate complex relationships between/among participant
needs, funding, staff, volunteers, community and multiple
programs/systems and to direct staff recruitment, hiring, and
maintenance accordingly for current and future effectiveness. To
work directly with the Executive Director, directors and managers
of other departments, and others needed to achieve this.
3. To maintain staff in accordance with all applicable
regulatory standards, to include but not limited to: hiring,
training, discipline, and promotion, as well as assuring all
necessary documentation for employment is provided.
4. To assure quality as it relates to staff management and
program operations is based on regulatory and funding requirements
and agency policy and procedure.
5. To ensure the required numbers of employees, with the
required skills, are available when they are needed.
6. To remain knowledgeable of legal parameters of management and
human resources and to assure that agency operations comply with
these. To consult attorney as needed (DOL, EOE, OSHA, COBRA, IRS,
7. To provide oversight to payroll, benefits, and various
deductions and assure accuracy and timeliness. To perform payroll
and related functions when needed.
8. To conduct or assist in promotions or discipline, to assure
that these are handled according to agency policy, legal mandates,
and practices which are recognized as good customer services.
9. To provide leadership in the area of retention and positive
employee relations, including but not limited to relationship
building campaigns and projects, employee surveys, and management
10. To ensure the proper conduct of the Human Resource office in
regard to applicants, employees or any others making inquiries of
11. To promote a safe environment, to protect employees from
injuries caused by work- related accidents.
12. To develop/interpret/teach/manage by personnel policy and
procedure, and to work with the Executive Director and where
necessary, members of the Board of Directors in doing so. To
research best practice trends and evaluate these in terms of
appropriateness for ARCO.
13. To manage the employee benefits (health insurance,
retirement, COBRA, worker’s compensation, etc.) to assure adequate
coverage, etc. and to coordinate with the business department or
other relevant managers in doing so.
14. To evaluate the relationship between work to be done and
compensation (salary/related benefits).
15. To develop and maintain current job descriptions,
Knowledge/Skills Inventories, and Performance Outcome
16. To represent the agency as appropriate in all unemployment
hearings or other legal hearing, etc., and to coordinate with the
relevant supervisors and directors for review of material. To
assure necessary participation of employees in proceedings, if
17. To participate in all conduct evaluations on the
18. To coordinate the departmental planning process of setting
human resource goals and establishing the means to achieve these.
To continue the things which are working well or to improve or
change things which are not.
19. To communicate with applicants, managers, employees or
volunteers in a pleasant and helpful manner and build team
relations. To assure that the department sets the tone of
professionalism for the agency. This includes appearance, manner,
20. To use the computer for word processing, spread sheets, data
processing, including software developed for human resource
21. To follow and manage according to agency Manager’s Policies
and Procedures, core standards, tenets, and visions.
22. To convey agency “message” in effective manner, to promote
the departmental and agency mission, and to build relations outside
23. To engage general public or specific groups in areas of
interest to ARCO. To participate in agency fundraising and
membership drives. To participate within and outside the agency to
promote, educate, and engage others while promoting the philosophy
of the agency.
24. To use language, written and spoken, which is grammatically
and politically correct, and professionally articulated
25. To assure that the applicant or employee complete
job-related drug screening initially at hire and post-accident or
other procedures necessary.
26. To make predictions based on historical information.
27. To assist in budget development.
28. To assure confidentiality of all human resource issues.
29. To provide feedback regarding the development and training
of staff to assure that growth opportunities are current, relevant,
adequate, and well documented. To assess the effectiveness of the
overall staff development program.
30. To assure that the hiring process follows company
31. To participate and provide oversight with grants and the
requirements as it relates to Human Resources.
32. To exercise discretion and judgment when making independent
decisions while adhering to agency policy.
33. To continuously apprise the executive director of the
activities, issues, needs and progress of the Human Resource
34. To communicate regularly and thoroughly with the Executive
Director about issues that affect one’s performance of one’s
*NOTE: As you begin this process please know that only
applications which are filled out completely and accurately will be
(A full Job Description and list of Essential Functions are
available at ARCO's Human Resource Department, 900 N. 3rd St.,
Monroe, LA. ARCO is an Equal Opportunity Employer.) Type: Full-time
Apply on-line Now