Sterile Processing Technician - PeriOp Services
Posted on: November 22, 2021
We've made a lot of progress since opening the doors in 1942,
but one thing has never changed - our commitment to serve, heal,
lead, educate, and innovate. We believe that every award earned,
every record broken and every patient helped is because of the
dedicated employees who fill our hallways.
At Ochsner, whether you work with patients every day or support
those who do, you are making a difference and that matters. Come
make a difference at Ochsner Health and discover your future
This job assures availability of cleaned, prepared, sterilized
equipment and supplies for surgical procedures, functions as a
resource for clinical knowledge, and performs other duties as
assigned by the SPD Supervisor or Manager of Sterile Processing.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, receiving,
cleaning, distributing, and storing medical instruments and
equipment; all job duties are expected to be performed without
supervision. This job supports direct patient care in clinical and
satellite operations as well as operative suites.
Required - High school diploma or equivalent
Preferred - Additional degrees, business training experience and/or
certifications may be combined to meet minimum qualifications.
Additional Courses in Sterile Processing or Surgical Technology
Preferred - 2 years in Sterile processing experience
Required - Certification through one of the following:
- Certified Registered Central Service Technician
(CRCST)International Association Healthcare Central Service
Materiel Management (IAHCSMM),
- Certified Sterile Processing Department Technician (CSPDT),
Certification Board for Sterile Processing and
- Certified Flexible Endoscope Reprocessor (CFER), CBSPD
- OR Certification in Surgical Technology with successful
certification of internal sterile processing training course within
first six months from hire
Knowledge Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Must have computer skills and dexterity required for data entry
and retrieval of patient information. Must be proficient with
Windows-style applications and keyboard.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and the
ability to present information clearly and professionally to
varying levels of individuals throughout the patient care
- Good analytical skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- Good time management skills and self-directed.
- Good conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to adapt to change in a positive, constructive
- Ability to exercise good judgment and initiative when
- Utilizes effective judgment and decision making when performing
- Communicates pertinent information to appropriate staff in a
- Maintains required clinical knowledge, technical skills,
training and credentials.
- Adapts to change in a positive, constructive manner.
- Performs general and specialized instrument care duties.
- Provides supplies as needed for surgical procedures.
- Disassembles and cleans critical reusable medical equipment in
accordance with Manufacturer's Instructions For Use (MIFU).
- Inspects, packages, and reassembles surgical instruments and
trays according to established priority.
- Practices High Level Disinfection, Pre-Vaccuum Sterilization,
Gravity Displacement Sterilization, and Hydrogen Peroxide Plasma
Sterilization techniques in accordance with MIFUs.
- Practices record keeping and document control as defined in
Standard Operating Procedures, policies, and recommendations from
- Adapts behavior to the specific patient population, including
but not limited to: respect for privacy, method of introduction to
the patient, adapting explanation of services or procedures to be
performed, requesting permissions and communication style.
- Other related duties as required.
Physical and Environmental Demands
The physical essential functions of this job include (but are not
limited to) the following: Frequently exerting 10 to 20 pounds of
force to move objects; occasionally exerting up to 100 pounds of
force. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for
sedentary work. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
Because the incumbent works within a healthcare setting, there may
be occupational risk for exposure to hazardous medications or
hazardous waste within the environment through receipt, transport,
storage, preparation, dispensing, administration, cleaning and/or
disposal of contaminated waste. The risk level of exposure may
increase depending on the essential job duties of the role.
Are you ready to make a difference? Apply Today!
Ochsner Health endeavors to make our site accessible to all users.
If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our
website, or if you need an accommodation to complete the
application process, please contact our HR Employee Solution Center
at 504-842-4748 (select option 1) or email@example.com. This
contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot
be used to inquire about the status of applications.
EEO is the Law links in English, Spanish, Chinese, and Arabic.
Affirmative Action Policy Statement
Keywords: Ochsner, New Orleans , Sterile Processing Technician - PeriOp Services, Professions , Slidell, Louisiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!